Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Birth Pangs!

I will forever be grateful to Ann Johnson. Expecting my first baby and eager to expand my wardrobe (to keep up with my waistline!), I jumped when Ann offered to teach me to sew. Maternity clothes in the '80s were pretty limited style-wise--OK, they were just plain bad-- consisting mostly of paneled pants & babydoll tops. Not to mention the jumpers. Ugh. But they proved to be the perfect learn-to-sew projects: unstructured, lots of fitting ease, and nice long seams for stitch practice. Couple that with my need for a new wardrobe, and I was hooked. 

I met Ann at her home twice a week, my new no-name sewing machine and cardboard cutting board in tow. She taught me everything--Sewing 101. From how to read a pattern to how to finish a seam. Maternity clothes grew into a crib skirt & bumpers (yeah, we used those in the 80s) in safe shades of yellow. A baby quilt with raised stuffed animals on each square. Cotton  nightgowns strewn with flowers (which I proudly adapted for nursing) and a white seersucker & eyelet robe for the hospital. Yep, I had definitely upped my domesticity quotient! More importantly, I began a relationship with what was to become a huge love in my life: sewing. Oh, not to mention the now-6'5"-baby boy.

1 comment:

  1. My mom taught me how to sew, she said I had to learn. Thank you mom. Tried to tell me I had to learn to smock using dots. I had two under two. But boy do I love it all now, and I did even then. Love all your advice and help in shop!

    ReplyDelete