Monday, February 6, 2012

Topstitch!

Handmade vs. Homemade--the discussion continues! And in no particular order.
Topstitching. Why bother? You've stitched. You've pressed. It looks absolutely OK. (Pattern by The Cottage Momma: Shortcake Reversible Romper, View B--LOVE it!--with added ruched ruffle & buttons)
Step it up a notch. Topstitch it. Since this dress is reversible, I made sure my bobbin thread matched my upper thread. I like to use my edge-joining foot, nestling my center guide (little metal piece that hangs down in the middle) next to the fabric edge. I moved the needle two positions to the left.
Straight stitch at a normal stitch length (2.5). You may want to slow your machine until you feel comfortable--particularly on curves. Pivot at corners, keeping your needle down. (One of the reasons I love having a knee lift! I can use both hands)
 Go super-slow on the rounded corners. You can take 2 or 3 stitches, & raising your presser foot, turn the fabric slightly & stitch a couple more. Repeat until you get all the way around.

A topstitched garment is so much easier to iron after it's laundered than one that's not. No searching for the edge of the fabric, no readjusting. It also is far less likely to ravel after repeated washings. Take the few extra minutes to topstitch!




No comments:

Post a Comment